2. 750 years before Jesus was born, the Prophet Isaiah said ‘A young woman will have a baby and will call his name ‘Immanuel’ (Jesus means Immanuel or God with us). Who was the young woman?
3. 400 years before Jesus was born, the Prophet Micah said ‘From Bethlehem a great ruler ( or King) from God will come to bring peace”.
4 God sent the Angel Gabriel to tell Mary her baby would be the great ruler and she must name him ‘Jesus’. What does the word ‘Jesus mean?
5. Mary and Joseph were all prepared for the arrival of their baby, but not knowing that....
6. “Oh no” cried Mary, “Go to Bethlehem. Not now, when I am about to have a baby.”
7. The Emperor told everyone to go to their home town to be counted. As Joseph’s hometown was Bethlehem, Mary and Joseph had to leave immediately and travel 150 klm.
8. When Mary and Joseph arrived at Bethlehem, Mary was exhausted but there was no-where for them to stay. Her baby would be born very soon – what would they do?
9. A kind inn-keeper showed them a stable where they could stay.
10. During that night, Mary called out to Joseph “Wake up, the baby is going to be born”. Did Joseph immediately take Mary to hospital?
11. There were no hospitals so Joseph had to help deliver Mary’s baby in the stable. They wrapped the baby in baby clothes and put him to sleep in a manger. What was the baby’s name?
12. Mary and Joseph were so excited about the new baby Jesus whom they knew was God’s son, but with no telephone, they could not tell anyone that he had been born. No-one would know or so they thought.
13. God was making sure everyone would know that Jesus had been born! He even sent his choir to tell the shepherds – that was much more exciting than a telephone call.
14 The night was dark and quiet...... SUDDENLY an angel, bright as day, stood near the shepherds up on the hill. “Don’t be frightened, I’ve got great news for you – Jesus is born.”
15. “God has sent to earth his son, Jesus and you will find him in a stable in Bethlehem, just as the Prophets told us hundreds of years ago”.
16. Before the shepherds could even say ‘Happy Christmas’ God’s choir appeared in the sky and sang praises to God in heaven, and peace on the earth.
17. Suddenly it was dark and quiet again but the shepherds said “what are we waiting for?” so off they stumbled in the dark, down the hill to Bethlehem.
18. How do you find a baby in the middle of the night? What did the angel say “you will find him in a stable”, so where is that stable?
19. Mary and Joseph were exhausted after their long long walk and the birth of their baby. All they wanted to do was sleep when ‘bang bang’ – someone was banging on the stable door. Who could it be?
20. As Joseph opened the door of the stable, some shepherds rushed in saying “ has a baby been born here tonight? Can we see him?” Mary and Joseph were shocked – how could these shepherds know about baby Jesus?
21. That same night a new star appeared in the sky a long way away in another country. “What does that star mean?” asked the Wise Men.
22. “ The new star is moving across the sky – I wonder if a special King has been born? Let’s follow the star.”
23. On their camels, the Wise Men followed the star all the way to Bethlehem.
24. The Wise Men gave Jesus very special presents for when he grew up, gold for a King, frankincense for a priest ( God’s helper on the earth) and myrrh for when Jesus died on the cross.
25. What can I give him small as I am? Give my heart!